Half the work that is done in this world
is to make things appear what they are not
~Beadle, E. R.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic
~Arthur C. Clarke’s 3d Law of Prediction)
But magic can sometimes just be an illusion
Belief in the absence of illusions is itself an illusion
A hallucination is a fact, not an error;
what is erroneous is a judgment based upon it
So, after a storm of angry publications by unhappy webmasters and uninstalls of KeyCAPTCHA plugings, on August 14, 2011, KeyCAPTCHA.com “announced” (by posting a few replies, for example here and there) that the free of charge option of its service was restored from August 8, 2011 (probably because the last post of KeyCAPTCHA defending its removal was from August 7, 2011, see the same links upward). Novosibirsk time (GMT +6:00) everywhere in this article.
The most funny thing was that there were no changes in ToS or any descriptions on keycaptcha.com webite whatsoever! But wait, there’s more
Wisdom says that a liar should have a good memory. Not true on the internet, it is enough to manage to change or remove your previous publications.
I and others caught KeyCAPTCHA.com, my former employer, to publicly lie hundreds times and you will not find any such publications.
From my observations, the posts on the forums based on WCMSs (Web Content Management System) like
- vBulletin – permits changes
- phpBB - - permits changes
- SMF (SimpleMachines Forums) – permits delete
- Twitter (well, it is probably not WCMS and permits only to delete tweets but I hate Twitter no less for having permitted to slander and scam me by this feature)
usually let to change posts later, even after replies, whenever an author likes.
- Joomla (after being replied?)
- IPB (aka IP.Board, InvsionPower Board) Services, how one should tag it in Social Media, I wonder?
do not (but only in a few minutes time immediately after posting) .
What’s the point of permitting life-time changing (or deleting) what some has written, even after having dozens replies, I wonder?
One can check the forum’s CMS at the bottom of a web page and double-check it at webpage souce finding a string “generator”. Here is an example of HTML element from WordPress forum HTML-element:
- <meta name=”generator” content=”WordPress 3.2″ />
What about comments in blogs and posts that cannot be edited/deleted?
That’s also simple. KeyCAPTCHA Team has done it many times. It is enough post personal attacks on a participant the more and uglier the “better” until any sense is lost, then ask moderators, administrators/owner of the blog to delete the whole topic or branch for a flame and/or off-topic.
100% results of topic ensured to delete a thread, branch or a whole topic!
If the results are not immediate, just return and do it again and again.
“We have detected spam activity, your actions are blocked”
In Soviet Russia, spam activity of spam-captchas block human’s access
Another technique is to block writers (blog commenters) through its KeyCAPTCHA by IP-address.
This is very clever to self-advertise you, only fans of KeyCAPTCHA and advertising will be able to use internet soon.
“If u are not paying for it,
you’re not the customer;
you’re the product being sold”
I am a former “employee” of KeyCAPTCHA.com “company”, having worked for it since 11 Dec, 2010 till May, 2011.
I believe that users of KeyCAPTCHA.com external antispam service will be better informed if they know my story of relations with persons providing KeyCAPTCHA service
It’s non-marketed (non-paid, non-promoted and often deleted at request of KeyCAPTCHA Team) point of view on keycaptcha.com services.
I am only citing the publications of others (to which I have no relation or involvement) or easily verifiable on the internet data.
I even do not publish my info on keycaptcha.com scams as insider (and former employee) of keycaptcha.com
Antispam KeyCAPTCHA.com is being reported as known spammer:
- keycaptcha.com Email address is in blacklist of known spammers (of services from which is impossible or difficult to unsubscribe)
Source (in Russian) with the list of spamming Emails/services:
- “looks like harvesting of post addresses. Impossible to download… You completed the task incorrectly. You completed the task incorrectly” (translated from Russian)
KeyCAPTCHA plugin contribution is unpublished from:
- From JED (Joomla Extension Directory) for fraudulent voting
KeyCAPTCHA service plugin is in Joomla.org’s Vulnerable Extension List:
- KeyCAPTCHA Mod was removed from SimpleMachines.org
It is not true that KeyCAPTCHA is unbreakable by bots,
as it is being affirmed by keycaptcha.com marketing publications, it is just not being hacked on unpopular web resources. Tthere are hundred of publications debunking KeyCAPTCHA’s invincibility:
- “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but spam on our forum and increased tenfold since installing KeyCAPTCHA.
If anything, it seems less secure than the reCAPTCHA or the Q&A methods (both of which are far from perfect, but seem to cut spam more than KeyCAPTCHA does).
I’ve been deleting spam posts and banning spammers all day for a couple of days now – hundreds of them – since installing this” http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2180505&postcount=40
- Cracking of Interactive CAPTCHA (In Russian “Взлом интерактивной CAPTCHA”):
- “As promising as this looked. Spambots were still able to register”
- “This is a pretty lousy captcha, as it wouldn’t exactly be difficult to write a program that could match a piece to a grayscale version of the same image”
- I’m using Spam-O-Matic in conjunction with KeyCAPTCHA but neither seem to make any difference as far as spammer signups go (vBulletin)
KeyCAPTCHA being Uninstalled and Replaced by Other Antispam Solution(s) on hundreds webresources due its to technical or usability problems:
- “@ECOTOX We just switched to another CAPTCHA extension, Keycaptcha seems to be giving problems”
- KeyCAPTCHA replaced by less problematic & more intuitive anti-spam solution
Source (in Russian): http://vkontakte.ru/wall-27039534_10
- Forum Captcha (was KeyCAPTCHA, then uninstalled) does not work on Android, Windows Phone 7 App…
- “Removed KeyCAPTCHA Installed @GrowMap’s Anti-Spambot Plugin Happy! http://www.growmap.com/growmap-anti-spambot-plugin #WordPress #Spam “
Non-Usability & User Un-Friendliness of Interactive CAPTCHAs
And interactive captchas cannot support the blind.
Might be this is my lie and slander but I could not find any publications proving the opposite.
- “If I had to register a new account right now, I don’t think I would because that keycaptcha shit is too hard”
“Apparently Keycaptcha isn’t working too well. I still suggest requiring like 10 posts to make a thread”
- “May I also present something half as disasterously unusable: the KeyCAPTCHA https://www.keycaptcha.com. I couldn’t get past it :s”
“keycaptcha.com - holy shit”
“@RootzWiki I have been trying to register for 30min now and it wont let me, keeps telling me my captcha is wrong =/” http://twitter.com/#!/ECOTOX/status/84123162270380032
” @KeyCAPTCHA Ubuntu & Windows in Chrome, Firefox, & Internet Explorer on 2 desktops & laptop, put picture together but always said its wrong “
“KeyCAPTCHA – causes me wild butthurt, been trying to pass it during 5 min in vain, no way”
Translated from Russian:
“KeyCAPTCHA – какой-то дикий батхерт доставляет, тыкаю ее уже минут пять, не выходит ни рожна”
- Idiotic Capthas (ыйе6анутейшая капча)
- “Interactive CAPTCHAs: Step forward or backward?” (PDF)
“I love puzzles. I made 9 accounts!”
Cited from: http://ww.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/exa5e/i_think_this_is_genius_but_i_cant_be_certain/c1boo5w
Cited from: http://joomlaforum.ru/index.php?PHPSESSID=7df383cdc3a55a15eef9216adcc90064&topic=138180.msg752789#msg752789
“KeyCAPTCHA радует” http://twitter.com/#!/Bazulja/status/17691086226980864:
former KeyCAPTCHA Team member
caught by police in cooperation with my former employer (KeyCAPTCHA.com Team) for receiving my salary qualified as extortion
Shocked to Find that an Article Can Be Published with Any Date Irrespectively on the Time of Its Creation (Authorship, BlackHat Web Scraping, SEO Ranking Problems?!)
This post is really created on Sept 15, 2011
but WordPress permits to change publication date
Isn’t it confusing for priority authorship disputes as well as for determining who webscraped, stole?
Note that the link of article still shows:
i.e. Jul 10, 2011, the date of I indicated during 1st publishing which I later changed to Jul 10, 2001 while I created it on Sept 15, 2011
Now it is published with
- Status: Published
Other choices I’ve tested:
Published – Pending Review – Draft
- Visibility: Public
Other choices I’ve tested:
Public – Password Protected – Private
Testing Link Generation and Public Visibility of WP.com Blog Post During Status (Published – Pending Review – Draft) and Visibility (Public – Password Protected – Private)